Latest Official Figures Reveal 0.8% Increase in Saudi Arabia’s Non-Oil Exports

Latest Official Figures Reveal 0.8% Increase in Saudi Arabia’s Non-Oil Exports

Official data released by the Kingdom’s General Authority for Statistics sheds light on Saudi Arabia’s economic landscape, particularly focusing on the non-oil exports sector. In January, the sector witnessed a noteworthy increase of 0.8 percent compared to the same month in 2023, reaching a total value of SR24 billion ($6.40 billion). This upward trend is a testament to the Kingdom’s concerted efforts towards diversifying its economy away from fossil fuels, in alignment with the ambitious goals outlined in Vision 2030.

Non-Oil Trade Ratio Rises

One significant highlight from the report is the rise in the ratio of non-oil trade, which climbed to 35.8 percent in January, up from 35.1 percent in the same period the previous year. This upward trajectory underscores the resilience and potential of non-oil sectors in driving economic growth and reducing dependence on oil revenues.

Saudi Arabia-Oil Exports Experience Decline

While non-oil exports showcased resilience, the overall merchandise exports in January experienced a decline of 10.3 percent, totaling SR95 billion. This dip can be attributed to a decrease in crude trade, which declined by 1.3 percent year-on-year. The share of oil in total trade also witnessed a decrease, falling from 77.6 percent in January 2023 to 74.8 percent in January 2024.

OPEC+ Agreement Impact

The reduction in oil exports is a direct outcome of Saudi Arabia’s commitment to the agreement set by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies, known as OPEC+. Following the agreement, Saudi Arabia embarked on a strategy to reduce crude output, with a reduction of 500,000 barrels per day implemented in April 2023, extended until the end of December 2024. Additionally, an additional oil output cut of 1 million barrels per day was pledged in July, continuing until the end of December 2023.

Saudi Arabia

Trade Dynamics and Market Destinations

In terms of trade dynamics, the report unveils China as the primary destination for Saudi Arabia’s exports in January, accounting for 15 percent of the overall volume. South Korea and Japan followed closely, with 10.3 percent and 10.1 percent of total exports, respectively. On the import side, China also emerged as the dominant player, accounting for 20.4 percent of total trades in January 2024.

Key Entry Points and Trade Routes

The report also sheds light on key entry points for goods into the Kingdom, with King Abdulaziz Sea Port in Dammam ranking as the highest entry point in January, handling 25.3 percent of the total imports. This highlights the strategic significance of maritime trade routes in facilitating Saudi Arabia’s import activities and ensuring the flow of goods into the Kingdom.

Conclusion

Saudi Arabia’s economic landscape continues to evolve, with non-oil sectors demonstrating resilience and growth potential amidst efforts to diversify the economy. While oil exports witnessed a decline due to OPEC+ agreements, the rise in non-oil exports underscores the Kingdom’s commitment to economic diversification and sustainable growth. As Saudi Arabia navigates its economic transformation journey, initiatives such as Vision 2030 remain pivotal in driving forward the nation’s economic agenda and fostering long-term prosperity.

Also Read

The Saudi Crown Prince Receives the New Diplomats’ Credentials at Riyadh

Israel’s Occupation of 800 Hectares of Palestinian Territory is Denounced by Saudi Arabia.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *